Saturday, March 13, 2010

"Placing" and "Curating"

"Placing" and "Curating"

This is the layout for the space that I Will be placing art work in.



The art space that I am working in, is the main living area of my apartment. The living room kitchen and dining room are connected together into one big room. In the diagram of the layout the pieces of art are represented by green rectangles. All but one of these pieces of art are hung on the wall. Number 3 is a chess set, which sits on a table, I will explain it later.
The theme of this placement is "everything in its place". The art works might not be connected or related, but they do belong in the space that they are placed. The functions of the space bring the art together, into a comfortable living environment.


The first piece of art is a movie poster, from the movie The Fifth Element. This might not be considered an explicit work of art but it can be use, in a space like this, as art. The poster is placed next to the TV and above the library of movies. The reason I chose a movie poster is that we watch many movies at my apartment. The reason I chose this specific poster is because, this is my favorite movie.

Art work number 2 sits on the wall across from the TV. It is a very large and empty wall so i felt the best type of art would be a landscape portrait. The hammock on a beach is supposed to give a felling of relaxation to those who look at it. When placed on this wall you can see the picture from anywhere in the living space. This gives a more relaxed feel to the house. Also its placed above the couch because the couch is the most comfortable place to take a nap.


The third and forth art works go together. The third is a set of Lewis chessmen, and the Fourth is a panting called the illusion chess board. They are placed in a corner of the room which makes them unobtrusive, but still conversational pieces. I saw the original Lewis chess set in a museum in England. I found the Lewis chess set to be an amazing work of art, due to the expert craftsmanship put in to creating it. It is interesting to know that it was made during the time of viking invasions in England. The poster called the illusion chess board goes hand in had with a chess set. looking at the poster you can't tell whether it shows the top of the board or the bottom
of the board. The scene in the poster is one of strategy and confusion, and if you have ever placed a chess game it can seem like controlled chaos. The reason I chose to put these art pieces in this quiet corner is that, my Friends and i have recently begun playing chess as a common pass time. We have a need for a good chess board and a poster exemplifying what type of game chess is, adds a nice touch.








art work number 5 is a picture of breakfast. I'm not sure where it comes from but it looks delicious. This picture fits perfectly in the kitchen. I chose a picture of breakfast for two reasons. One breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And two breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.


art work number 6 is a painting called carpe diem. It shows a picture of airplanes with the words carpe diem displayed in the center. Carpe diem in Latin means seize the day. This is intended to be a motivational painting. I placed it on the wall behind my desk so that it will inspire me to study harder. The fact that it has airplanes on it i a very nice touch because my major is aerospace engineering.




Although there is no major theme that can directly connect all of the art works together. Each piece of art does have its own place and functionality. They are placed there for specific reasons, not one grand design, this makes the theme simply "everything in its place".























2 comments:

  1. Robert Micklis, I found your room layout to be very interesting. I enjoyed the art works you have selected especially the set of Lewis chessmen. I love chess and the design for individual pieces for this chess set is so unique.
    However, I really do think you should work on proof reading because there are a few spelling mistakes.
    Besides that, I think it was wonderful overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constructive Comment:
    I really like everything about your post except that it seems cluttered. It would be a lot better to create multiple postings so that the map of room is easily accessible and the viewer does not have to scroll up to find placement of each art work all the time. Also, the images seem to overlap a little, you could try spacing them out a little more.

    Supporting Comment:
    My favorite part about your art work is the chess sets. I am a fan and always up for a game. Even though I believe I suck, it is still fun to play and predict movies. I’ve also always wanted a really nice chess set and seeing those two pictures of the game stirs up my desire to play. Also, nice job with the picture of food, they do look delicious!

    ReplyDelete